David’s research integrates political economy and public health:
- Macro-social and -economic determinants of health,
- Political economy of global health and development,
- Comparative social policy
He uses large datasets and statistical modelling to understand the root causes of epidemics. Recent examples include:
- Will the ongoing financial crisis make us sick?
- Has austerity damaged the Greek health system?
- Why did so many Russian men disappear in the early 1990s?
- Did IMF lending programmes worsen the Ebola outbreak?
- Does mineral mining spread TB in sub-Saharan Africa?